In this post we will get to know about various Seed Treatment Techniques carried by farmers. These are all traditional and organic methods to treat the seeds without using any harmful chemicals.
Beejamrutha / Bijamrita
Thanks to Subhash Palekar ji for teaching Bijamrita to many farmers.
How to Prepare Bijamrita
- Take 20 liter Water, 5 Kg Local Cow Dung, 5 liter Local Cow Urine, 50 Gram Lime & Handful soil from the bund of the farm.
- Take 5 Kg Local Cow Dung in a cloth and bound it by tape. Hang this in the 20 Liter water up to 12 hours. –
- Take one liter water and add 50 gm lime in it, let it stable for a night.
- Then next morning, squeeze this bundle of the cow dung in that water thrice continuously, so that all essence of cow dung will accumulate in that water.
- Then add a handful of soil in that water solution and stir it well.
- Then add 5 liter Deshi cow urine or human urine in that solution & add the lime water and stir it well.
How to use Bijamrita
Add Bijamrita on the spread seeds of any crops, treat these seeds well by hands, dry it well and use for sowing.
Seed Treatment Technique 2: Butter Milk
Soak the seeds in a mixture of fermented buttermilk (3 days old) and water in 1:4 ratio for 6 hours and shade dry before sowing. The practice is applicable only for 6 to 12 months old seeds. Buttermilk can be replaced by
Coconut or Palmyra toddy.
Seed Treatment Technique 3: Asafoetida
Treat the seed with one liter of Desi Cow Urine, 1/2 kg of ash and 100 grams of Asafoetida
Seed Treatment Technique 4: Termite Soil
Take 2 liters of Desi Cow Urine, 1kg of cow dung and 1kg of termite soil.
Seed Treatment Technique 5: Desi Cow Milk (1:9)
Take one liter of cow milk and mix with 9 liter of water
Seed Treatment Technique 6: Hot Water
Boil the water to 50 degrees and soak the seeds for 30 minutes. to overcome seed Seedborne diseases
Seed Treatment Technique 7: Salt water
Salt Water Treatment (Place an egg in water until it sinks to the bottom and rests horizontally. The horizontal egg indicates that the egg is not rot and that it could be further used for purpose of testing the density of salt concentration in water). Then remove the egg add salt to water and stir continuously until it dissolves. Immerse the egg once again into this concentration. This process of immersing the egg to test the density of salinity concentration continues. At a certain stage of salt application into water, only a quarter of the egg is found to be visible on the surface. This is the standard saline concentration used for seed treatment. Seeds are soaked in this preparation for a period of 30 minutes and then removed, washed twice and thoroughly dried until the moisture is absorbed. Salt-water treatment is a useful technique in separating healthy seeds from chaffy ones.
This treatment is found to be very effective in treating paddy seeds.
1. It separates the healthy seeds from chaffy seeds
2. Protects from storage fungus
3. Activates embryo
For more details regarding Seed Treatment Techniques read the PDF http://www.ciks.org/6.%20Seed%20Treatment%20Techniques.pdf
Please feel free to add any more Seed Treatment Techniques in the comment section.
Thanks to Mr.Ravi, Gani, and many other farmers who taught us these Seed Treatment Techniques.